Friday, May 3, 2013

I Did It! I Did It! My Very Own Sofa Table!


Hello Everyone, I hope that your week is going fabulous.  I have had a fantastic week. Work has been really awesome and things are starting to fall in place.  I love that feeling.
So last week after seeing a few pinterest ideas, I decided that I would try my best to create a sofa table for my living room.  Now, I bet your saying…"Kim, there is no way possible for me to create a sofa table or for that matter any table, I don’t have the skills nor the tools to do that.”  I felt the same way for the longest time.  I thought, I could never do something that involved that acquired that much skill and ability.  I was actually wrong. So this blog is really about using the items that you have and really taking a chance to see what you can create :)  I only used the items that I already had in my garage and I didn’t use any big expensive tools.  So I will show you what I did to make this awesome/functional sofa table…
 
So last week I was walking to my kitchen and spotted these legs in my garage, it was one of the corner of the eye moments.  If you have ever had one you will know what I mean.  Anyways, I was like, hmmm, I think I could make a sofa table out of these.  Now, these legs actually came off of an over the toilet cabinet that we never used.  I actually used the cabinet as craft storage and I didn’t need the legs.  These totally came in handy. Now if you don’t have legs, then my suggestion would be to just use some 2x4 for the legs.  So, this project all started with the legs.
  

Look at that dark dingy basement :(

 
Here we go…
What you will need:
                3 – 1x8 pine boards cut into 4 ft
                4 -  "L" brackets/corner braces
                4 – Mending Plates
                Stain and/or paint of your choice
1.       I found some 1x8 in the garage. These were already cut down to 4 feet.  I was going to use them for board and batten look in my bathroom but I went with something different. Anyways, you will only need 3 boards cut into 4 feet.  You can have your big box stores cut them for you.  That makes life so easy ;)
2.       Then I lined up my boards, I used 3 boards.  I didn’t want to make it super wide because I was only working with a same space.  You could use more or less depending on how wide your legs are.  I used these wonderful things called ____________ to secure the boards. I know that probably carpenters are not using these but hey they work and they are super easy.  Make sure that you secure them to the back side of the wood.  I only had to use 4.
 
3.       Once you have the boards lined up and you have secured them together, now you want to secure them to the legs.  I used these lovely things called “L” brackets or corner braces.  These too are great to have in your arsenal.  I have used them for so many things. Now, turn your piece over and secure them to the boards and to the legs. Make sure that everything is lined up the way that you want it before you start screwing in the “L” brackets.
   
4.       Once these are secure you are almost done.  Yeah!!  At this point I realized that the frame work for the sofa table wasn’t really that sturdy.  I was going to be placing some lamps and pictures and other things on there and I really didn’t want them to wobble.  Also, I don’t have this right behind my sofa (so I’m not too sure why I’m calling it this but anyways) and I didn’t want anything to come crashing down.  If everything seems secure enough for you, then you don’t need to do these next steps okay. 
You will need to create a brace towards the bottom of the table to keep everything really secure.  I took 2 pieces of the same wood.  I decided to place them on top of the support for the legs.  Wait…that was my intention, but you will see later that I really messed that part up.  Anyways, I needed to notch out a section of the wood in order to do this.  I used a jig saw but if you don’t have a jig saw – no worries, you can use a regular old saw :)  Also, I only had to do this with the legs that I was using.  You might not have to do this if you are using regular 2x4 or some other type legs.  Once I had them fitted to the way I liked then I screwed them right into the leg supports.  You can see in the pictures where I messed up.
 
5.       Once the table is constructed to the way you like it, now here is the fun part.  You can paint it or stain it.  I bought this small tube of gel stain from Hobby Lobby and I used a rag and stained the top part. You don’t need to the underside because no one is going to see it.  I then used some black acrylic paint for the legs. These were already painted white and I wanted to see how the black would look if I used a rag to wipe it on.  It kinda of looks like they are metal now.  I really, really love the way they look now. 


 
6.       Now the even funner (fyi, I know that is not a word) part, now you can decorate it and place some of you really cool finds and a lamp or too on it.
 
7.       Lastly, you can sit on your couch with a half ice tea/lemonade combo and marvel at the great work that you did and think…wow I did this, what more can I do…
 




**do you love the mail letter holder, I got this for $2 at Goodwill, I can't believe someone donated that beauty :)  Also, check out the big die that I made, <3 that too!!
I hope you enjoyed this post.  I wanted to really show you that I can build something with the materials you might already have.  I also wanted to demonstrate that you have the skills to build these things.  I always thought that my skills were nowhere near ever creating something like this but you all have the skills and abilities.  I hope that this has encouraged you to see what you can create.  I would love to make a dining room table or maybe an outdoor table.  We will see… Please share any ideas or if you create something similar, I would love to see what you create :)

I'm Linking Up with....
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment